Friday, January 28, 2011

Local Knowledge: Merits (and hazards in its absence)

In general, it has become quite obvious to me that when it comes to any form activity and especially any ocean activity, "Local Knowledge" makes a very significant difference. One way and often the only way of coming about this knowledge is simply from personal experience and observations in the local; a learning curve as it were.

However there are other ways of gaining local knowledge and that is what I hope to explore here and frankly in regards to a very specific local and hazard.

To set the stage, please read the text and view the images I posted some time ago on This Web Page.

Just off the beach and between two large vacation complexes at North Kaanapali is a very seemingly inviting stretch of sand between two shall reefs. Located in this sand channel are three buoys in line which might easily be interpreted as designators for a swimming area.

In actuality, these three buoys are in place to indicate a permanent and dangerous channel that sports a very strong rip current when there are waves present and breaking on the shallow reefs to either side of it. There is a small sign posted up on the walkway that explains the buoys and how to exit the rip should it be in force. Unfortunately this sign is not read by the vast majority of swimmers who are out enjoying themselves in the area.

Any local with experience in these waters know about the rip and how to avoid it. The question is, how is this Local Knowledge best conveyed to others lacking in it??

I am of the opinion that more signs, better signs and more strategic locations of the signs would help. I also believe if the resorts were to include some form of Local Knowledge Tips and Alerts in a pamphlet or included in the room service directory or whatever in the rooms would be a great help.

This particular shoreline and reef system is also under the restrictions of the Kahekili Herbivore Fish Management Area and it would make sense that the do's and don't's of the KHFMA also be included in a Local Knowledge Tips & Alerts information piece.

Specific to this location and hazard, I don't believe signs and notices alone can preclude the possible physical harm and even death potential the rip and shallow adjoining reefs represent. Ideally there would be a life guard present at least at times when the rip is strong. In the absence of some expert monitoring the area I think some form of rescue equipment that could be manned from the beach and by the general citizenship could save lives and aid folks in avoiding harm. The buoys themselves could be marked better and perhaps with some instructions.

Beyond this specific and obvious hazard in example, I believe the notion of Local Knowledge and a means of imparting it to folks who wish to partake of what the local has to offer deserves some consideration and thought. With present technology and all indication of greater technology to follow (Google Earth and Yelp, for example) I think our reefs and shorelines deserve as much attention as restaurants, gas stations and retail outlets presently get!

4 comments:

Don McLeish said...

In regards to the rip current, I should add that I did speak with a fellow with DOBOR first at Kahekili (thanks to John and Karen pointing him out to me) and then later at the actual site. He was in agreement that the hazard of the rip was real and at present ineffectively communicated to those it might effect. He said he would look into it further and pass some recommendations on up the chain of command.

Karen Wetmore said...

John and I were at the old Embassy site (presently the Kaanapali Beach Club - the pink hotel) today putting up floppy "bumper stickers" on the blue Kahekili Management signs - while we were there we witnessed 2 swimmers out by the buoys (in the rip) - John thought they were in trouble as soon as we saw them, they both appeared to be trying to swim back to the beach, and John was wondering if he should call 911. I thought they were okay, just in for a bit of a rough swim, but as soon as I said, "they're fine", I heard a loud coughing and spluttering, and then someone started yelling, "Help!" There were 2 boogieboarders near the swimmers, they zipped over there and got both swimmers and brought them into shore. A man walked up to us and asked, "what would have happened if those boogieboarders hadn't been there?" John said, "call 911".

Don McLeish said...

Calling 911 can work provided no one has to hold their breath (literally) until the response team arrives.

Unless a person has experienced a strong rip and recognizes it for what it is, it can be a very unsettling encounter and rational thought can be replaced with panic.

I have aided folks in getting out of this rip and some quickly realized they were fighting a loosing battle in getting shoreward whereas others had exhausted themselves nearly beyond reason.

If 911 was called every time someone was in trouble here, the record of calls would be quite large in number and I dare say something would be done about it.

Fortunately for those who do get caught unawares, help is usually much closer at hand and I have seen the fire department show up a few times after the fact and the rescued people had already left the scene. I am confident that in the vast majority of cases, 911 is not dialed.

If the surf is up, so is the rip. If it's otherwise a nice day then there are those who will get in trouble and there are those who will be at hand to help. If the wind is up, surf blown out or the water dirty, then there may not be anyone in the know around.

Don McLeish said...

Typical example:

I went to Embassy today as there is a decent swell coming in. The waves were waist to shoulder high and not very frequent or many to a set but the rip was working well.

As I paddled out, I saw Alicia (local surf instructor) on her board paddle over to a middle aged man who was out there floating on one of the cheap "Dummie Donuts" AKA pool floats. From her hand gestures I could tell she was instructing him on the rip. I passed by a woman also on one of these floats and asked her if she was aware that she was about to enter the rip. She wasn't and clearly was concerned as she started kicking shoreward.

I caught a couple waves and on the way back out saw the man struggling in the rip. I paddled up and asked him if he was OK. He said no and told me to help him. I had him grab onto the back of my wave ski and after a few minutes of strenuous paddling north, I was able to get him out of the rip and into shallow enough water that he could gain footing. I told him to stay north until he got closer to shore when he could then head south and into the sand. I also cautioned him about care where he stepped given the coral heads. He said he knew all about it.

When I compared notes with Alicia later, she told me that the man was not receptive to her cautions and that he knew what he was doing and was fine. He gave her attitude and she countered with the proposition that others, not as adept as he, would see him out there and follow into trouble. Alicia asked him if he was in a position to rescue others who followed his lead and he told her no problem.

There was no gratitude expressed as I left him and in hind sight I guess I understand. Since the sun was high and he was on a flotation device perhaps I should have ignored his request (demand) for help and yelled for someone on the beach to call 911. If I ever get that cold hearted, I don't belong out there.

Back on the beach, I noticed some new signs John and Karen attached to the KHFMA sign which provide more detailed information and images of the protected reef fish. This is adjacent to the sign warning of the rip. Below that sign one of the maintenance guys was giving a rock, that is part of a memorial to the guy who drowned (disappeared), a fresh coat of white paint.

Plenty of signs but who wants to read...